Thursday, June 12, 2008

One, Two, Three... let's have a cup of tea.

We had a great time at book club last week. Janeece served delicious baked potato and lentil soups in bread bowls, along with a salad. Many of us conserved our bowls until we had tried both soups! She also served various herbal teas to transport us to Pakistan. Most tried innocent flavors like lemon, apple cinnamon, and citrus. I wanted something more authentic, and since we were lacking yak butter tea, I tried Marylynne's offering of raspberry leaf tea. I decided it is an acquired taste. For dessert, Janeece spoiled us with yummy slices of a giant chocolate chip cookie topped with chocolate pudding (she is the Pampered Chef queen).

I reviewed the book "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. I was so inspired by Mortenson's story the first time I read it last year, and was no less endeared to his work and Pakistan's villagers this time through. It is truly an example of how one person can really make a difference in the world.

We discussed what made Mortenson so successful at helping the Pakistani people. He seems so humble and sincerely loves and respects the Muslim people. We decided that a more devout Christian might have less success in that region. Everyone also felt that if you didn't drink tea, it would be a major problem (I'd be in trouble)! Some questioned whether it was right to have to act like a Muslim to be accepted, when we are expected to be tolerant of everyone. Although it does seem to be a double standard, it is inspiring to hear of an American taking that higher road and instilling an appreciation of at least one of us in that region.

With the resurgence of the Taliban's power and instability in Pakistan and Afghanistan, the Central Asia Institute's efforts to bring education to the unserved children seem even more important. We agreed that the numbers of madrassas is alarming. I read an article telling Mortenson's account of the events following Benazir Bhutto's assassination in Pakistan. I had been wondering if the unrest would stall his work, but after reading about his continued aid after major earthquakes and thinking about his increased r esolve after 9/11, I am sure he will keep doing what he does as long as he can.

I am so grateful for the opportunities I have had in this country, and that my children can be educated. We sometimes dwell on the imperfections of our education system, when we forget that some people would literally send their child down a river to have that chance.

J Wendy Aposhian

0 comments: