Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Nicole's Letter about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

March 26, 2009

Dear Book Club Ladies,

As a fellow book clubber, who enjoys “reading, meeting, and overeating,” I am pleased to present “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.” It must be more than coincidence that we, as a group, decided upon this lengthy title, for more than just I made a request to read this book. As you may recall, at our last meeting, 3 ladies made this suggestion. I hope it was as enjoyable for each of you, as it was for me.

I feel at this point I need to quote Juliet on page 10 in a letter to Dawsey. “I wonder how the book got to Guernsey?” she writes, “Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in a book that brings them to their perfect readers.” I wonder, was this the case for Benee and Kim? The book came into my hands in a fairly common way. I mentioned our ‘mandatory’ book club meeting and my mother in law suggested this book. I decided that I should read it before I made my request, and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Was this book sent my way through some homing instinct? Probably not, but with 3 requests, I think it’s fair to say, we needed to read this. Are you happy that we did?

As I settled into reading, I’ll admit some hesitation about the writing style. A story told through letters? Would it hold my interest? But as I began, the descriptions of the 1940’s era and the Channel Islands fascinated me. As a student and teacher of history in a former life, I was also compelled to know more of the effects of WWII on this part of the country. Then there was the tone, word use and rhythm of speech that was so marked, I could practically hear the English accent.

I thoroughly enjoyed the story from beginning to end. But then, I always love a good love story, and this one was most satisfying on many levels. There is, of course, the story between Juliet and Dawsey, Elizabeth and her German, Clovis Fossey and Widow Hubert, and Juliet and Markham V. Reynolds. But there is also the relationship between Guernsey folks and what they read, between what was and what is, between what is and what my be, and the heartbreaking what is and what might have been. And for me, the grit of war to make it not quite so cute. What did you like about the story?

So, as I sit writing this letter in preparation for presenting this book to you ladies, I am grateful to have read such a lovely tale. And, as we discussed before and as Juliet asks the Potato Peel society: What is the philosophical value of reading? What is the benefit for you in reading? For me, reading has always been a mini-vacation to another place or time. I love to lose myself in a good story and expand my perspective as I contemplate new thoughts and life experiences. Whether it be history or fiction, fine literature or a compelling narrative, books can elevate us beyond our own little worlds. Doesn’t that make life fun? And please, let us NOT serve Potato Peel Pie.

Sincerely, Nicole Fountaine Fisher

1 comments:

Sister Sydney Davis said...

I really enjoyed this book and how the characters developed through letter writing. It's amazing that in our world of blogging, facebook, email, and text messaging, that the value of letter writing has been lost on many levels. I try to write my children a personal letter every year on their birthdays and on special occasions to remind them how special they are and to reveal my deeper feelings that can't be expressed very well in any other way. Thanks for choosing a wonderful book.